Wednesday 12 October 2011

Quodpot Update


On Saturday we had that quodpot game (that I mentioned in this entry) against the Uni Dragons. The game itself wasn’t really that important (and that’s not because we lost 3-1), but holy shit can we really live up to the derby girl stereotype.
Not a sweatshop.

But let’s start a bit before that. So, despite the fact that quodpot was a 5-minute game, I think we’ve put in a total of at least 10 hours of effort into things like procuring warpaint, shopping for boutfits, planning and strategy, painting shirts, making team pie and general awesomeness. On the Tuesday before, a couple of us scoured factory outlets and sex shops for appropriate things to make boutfits out of. I don’t know when things from sex shops would ever be “appropriate” in non-sexual contexts, but here you go. Fishnets, frilly knickers, tutus and plaid miniskirts and hotpants were on the agenda (I don’t think we actually found any hotpants in the sex stores, wtf). Then on Thursday, I had to submit the names of the team to the HPC people, and they thought what we had come up with was pretty hilarious. Yay. Then on Friday, after fitness training, I had the quodpot ladies come over and we painted our shirts and ate pie and generally had a fantastic time.

Fuck yeah, homemade strawberry pie.
And then Saturday we basically rocked up two hours early to get our boutfits and warpaint on. Most people did the football-style black/red stripes across their cheekbones, but I opted for a big fat black vertical streak over one eye. In retrospect it just looked like I had hair over my face like an emo kid, so maybe next time I’ll try it in red. Junky brought her kid and we warpainted him too. And then walking out onto the field was seriously awesome. The reaction we got was fantastic, from both the HPC and other random people like parents and announcers and the reporters from the uni newspaper. The only exception was at one point when a little boy saw my shirt and asked his mum what a “golden snatch” was. Titter.

Fuck yeah, Smashkaban. (Photo: Rachel White)
We had our own rollout too! I gave the announcer person our HP Derby names and she read them out as we ran onto the field. She stumbled over “Whore Crux”. Actually, what’s with so many HP things that can be punnified into including the word “whore”? Like, really. Uni Dragons had something lame like “Player 1, Player 2, etc.” kind of thing. So, before we played quodpot, we totally won on awesomeness points there. And we looked a fucking lot better than they did.

The match itself was kind of tough. We had a good strategy I think, but I just couldn’t hipcheck this beefy dragon boating boy who was marking me. I tried and I would just bounce off him. He was seriously about twice my size. Juking worked really well, however, and I managed to get a quodpot (is that what the water balloon thing is called?) into the bucket by just twisting around him and then running like hell. Haha. My only regret was not smashing more water balloons onto the Uni Dragon guys when it became clear that we weren’t going to win. That would have been much more derby girl-esque to do methinks.

Oh noes, I am being chased by a beefy guy. (Photo: Rachel White)
But it was a good day. We got heaps of great publicity for the league, and we’ve had people contact us and want to join on account of our presence on Saturday. And we got to strengthen our ties with other university clubs, so maybe we’ll get to do more inter-club things like that. We also invited the HP people to skate with us too. I suppose quidditch on wheels is pretty close to roller hockey.

Oh yeah and then Hufflepuff won. Fuck yeah.

Here's an awesome photo montage video thing that Eleri did. I can't embed it because I don't know how to, and blogger only gives me the option to use YouTube. Boo.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.