Saturday 30 March 2013

Need new wheels? Try this!

Every time I need new wheels I get in a giant bind about all the possible things I could buy. There are so many options for what surface you are skating on and what style of wheel and if you want slims or talls or mids or whatever the hell. It is always an indecisive clusterfuck and it leaves me wondering if I have buyer's remorse or not.

Introducing the Wheel-a-ma-jig.

It's like a search engine thing for derby wheels. You simply put the hardness, hub style, height, and width of the wheel you are browsing (you can do a range for hardness and size) and it returns possible wheels that fit your criteria.

Of course, it can't tell you what wheels would be ideal for your size, skate style, surface you skate on etc.. You still need to do that sort of work yourself. But at least if you've narrowed that down (Atom, for example has a Performance Matrix which should help you get an idea of what hardness wheels to get at least) then it should make your indecision less terrible. I also would recommend asking other skaters for their opinions on wheels that they have used, or, better yet, actually getting some of the wheels and trying them yourself.

This actually came out in October last year, and I know there are a couple of new wheels on the market that came out afterwards (like the Faster Demilunes which I am dying to try out). I'm not sure if they are on this or not. But this should cover pretty much all your main derby wheels.

Happy rolling!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.