Thursday 21 March 2013

Dirty dancing transitions

This is a really simple trick to practice transitions without even really thinking about it! We used to do this at VDL when we were learning transitions, and I introduced it to some of the skaters at NRV tonight and they liked it, hooray! I call it Dirty Dancing Transitions for want of a better name, but you have to maintain lots of eye contact as you do moves together, and the transitioning looks like something they could do if Dirty Dancing was done on skates.

Now I've had the time of my life
No I never felt like this before

With a partner, start facing each other, not too far apart, maybe like 15-20 feet (depending on how much speed you want to do this at). Skate towards each other (1), and look each other in the eye. Maintain eye contact as you pass each other and turn around (2), so you end up skating backwards (3).

Red arrows indicate the direction you're skating in.

I should really work on my paint skills.

This means that you'll both end up transitioning, and because you're not focusing on your feet, the transitions will come naturally and quickly. You can also check to see if your transitions are working well, if you turn around and your partner is directly across from you, not veering off to the side.

Remember to practice transitioning on both sides--if you have a bad side, try to partner up with someone who also has that as their bad side so you can both work on transitioning on that side at the same time. 

As you both get better at it, you can increase your speed.

The question is... who gets to be Patrick Swayze?

2 comments:

  1. What happened to your China Roller Derby post? I had a big comment expressing my solidarity with ANYONE who has to battle badminton players to get to their derby after the early VDL days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I took it down for editing because I realised that there was some other stuff to add, but I'll put it back up tomorrow! I can't wait to see what you have to write about badmintoners, hahahaha.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.