Monday 2 July 2012

New Directions

(No, not as in the name of the stupid club on Glee.)

WTF. No.

On Tuesday we had our Annual General Meeting. I've always been adamant that the administrative side of running a league is something that is necessary, but not a necessary evil as it might otherwise be seen. But yeah, my administration is over, and now the reins have been handed off to a new and dynamic new executive committee (on which my wife is Vice President, fuck yeah).

I'm excited for VDL's second year. We certainly faced a lot of challenges as a league this year, what with stupid dramas and not having our own venue and not actually knowing what we were doing and having only a handful of bouting skaters and being in the same city as an existing league and having to carve out our own identity, but I think we did pretty well for ourselves. We made a bouting team, increased our membership to over 100 people and got our name out there. And there are already some pretty big plans in the works for the coming year, which is exciting.

It's been good seeing this league grow from the ground up. Because I'm finishing a Ph.D. and moving overseas in three weeks, my time left with VDL is short, but I feel better knowing it's in safe hands for next year. I feel like a mother who's just seen her child take its first steps or something or go on a bike or something by herself or something.
Happy first year of administration, VDL!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.