Tuesday 10 July 2012

'MURCA!

As some of you will know, I'm finishing my Ph.D. and then moving to the States to be a grownup. I already checked out where the nearest roller derby league will be to my new city, and I'll see if I can swing by BAD and SCRD on my way in. But yeah, the idea of moving to the States again (I lived in Michigan a few years back) is kind of exciting. I like lots of American things, like drive-through everythings, deep-fried everythings (except chicken), and monster trucks.

These guys also made the list. (Well, Star Trek generally,
but I have a mild preference for TNG.)
For the 4th of July, Fortune made a list of 100 great things it finds awesome about the US&A. I agree with some of them (clam chowder, Stephen Colbert, cheeseburgers, NASA), and some of them are totally "I am an intern who pulled this out of my ass"* to me (Tupac's hologram, snuggies, cheerleading, marshmallow peeps) and COMPLETELY WTF. But okay, so it doesn't say "100 greatest things", and some aren't uniquely American either, but you get the idea.

Anyway, check out #37. Roller Derby made the list, for what it's worth. Huzzah. It's there in between the Triple Crown and Campbell's Soup Cans, so make of that what you will.

*NOTE: I just noticed the article also says:
To compile the list, we tapped the youth and brainpower of a few members of our summer intern class of 2012.
Yep, that explains it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.