Monday 30 April 2012

Homecoming

Yesterday was my first training back with VDL after my American adventures. It was good to be back. There were cupcakes and a big sack of chocolate and hugs all around, and lots of new faces. Yay. I missed being in my own league while I was overseas; it's like, you know that visiting another league is just that--a visit--and then soon you'll be gone. So it was good to come back to familiar faces and not having to be the new kid for a while.

Apparently when someone leaves the league or comes back there's a stacks on tradition. So, after getting bowled over bya crap load of (mildly stinky) people, it was back to doing drills! Then there was scrimmy scrim scram! I hadn't scrimmaged for several months, and I think it showed. There were a lot of big hits, and I fell down a lot. Whee! Oh, of course, there's the other tradition that I have, mostly related to scrimmage: when I scrim, I get injured roughly 80% of the time, where "injury" here is when I find something that hurts or doesn't feel right. So a slight bruise doesn't count as an injury, but a concussion, or twisted ankle, or ass bruise that doesn't let you sit down does.

Anyway, the other thing is I have to find new and different parts of my body to munt. Last night it was my left hand. I fell on it funny when my fingers went one way and the rest of me went another. I iced it and it seemed okay; it's not like you need fingers for derby (unless you are reffing), right? So today I had a look and my fingers weren't straightening or bending or whatever. It didn't look so bad from the top, but I have bruises underneath my knuckles, like on the inside of my fingers.

Some minor bruising on my fourth finger, and my third finger is fat

My third and fourth fingers are kind of stuck in a fat purpley sausage position.

It's purpler than the picture makes it. Also, my Antiks are hilariously tiny when I skate; it looks like my front and back wheels are touching each other. But they felt good on my feet tonight (except I can't remember how to skate on wood floors! Argh!) and I didn't get any blisters. Actually, I preemptively put a blister bandage on over the blister scar that I have on my foot, and the bandage fell off and stuck to my sock:

It kind of looks like a sad slug.
Ew. But yay, I'm back.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.