Tuesday 15 May 2012

D.I.S.C.O.!

Okay, I'm more of an Avengers lady than a Justice league
one, but this will have to do for pretty badass art.
Being part of a budding league means that there's a lot of financial stuff that has to go on to keep the league afloat. It's hard sometimes, but you do what you have to do. Things like venue hire, insurance, getting spare kit and running bouts can really suck out a lot of money, and our day to day funding is just from our league members when they show up to training and pay their dues. So making sure the league is financially afloat is a big thing that I don't think people are usually aware of as going on behind the scenes.

Anyway, hopefully we can boost that this weekend. My league is having a roller disco on Saturday, complete with a fundraising auction (with some REALLY nifty prizes donated by people in the league and our league sponsors). We've got the fantastic Sydney Derby Skates donating a brand new pair of Riedell R3s for the auction, and free dinners from local restaurants, a fancypants new skateboard worth $200, sports massage sessions and all these handmade artsy things from the people in the league. For my part, I've thrown in a new SCRD shirt and some nifty things from the Californian skate culture, like an issue of Hellarad(!!) and some stickers and whatnot from Cruz Skate Shop and BAD. (I miss those guys...) It's great to see all these different people showing support for our league and wanting to see it grow. A lot of the organization for this took place while I was overseas, and I'm really proud of how the league is pulling together to make sure that this goes off without a hitch. Remember a lot of these kids didn't even know how to skate a few months back, and now they're throwing all this effort into our fledgling league.

So yeah! People of the Interwebs, if you are in Canberra this Saturday and you want a bit of badassery to spice up your fine evening, come support the roller disco. Tickets are available here.

Photos will be posted up here soon enough next week, but I'm a little bit torn about what to go as at the moment. I've got Batman undies, and an Iron Man T-shirt but neither of those alone will make a costume. Also, being crunched for time doing a Ph.D. means I can't make anything really elaborate, and I think at least three people are going as Hit Girl (who would have been one of my top picks). Maybe I should just paint myself green and go as the tiniest Hulk in the world. Suggestions are welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.