Friday 15 June 2012

When I grow up, I want to be a rollerbull


So, New Orleans does an annual Running of the Bulls which is supposed to be similar to the one they have in Pamploma, Spain. But instead of having bulls, the NOLA version has local roller derby league skaters (and selected other skaters from over the US) as bulls, complete with horns on their helmets and wiffle bats. From what I can understand, basically you run from skaters and if they hit you with the bat or check you, then you've been gored by the bull and are down or something. And people take their children to it. And there is sangria at the end.

I wonder how you get beads when you're a bull, since bulls don't have udders?

Check this out from a bystander's perspective:

(It's kind of low quality, and not very interesting until the skaters come in about 2 minutes into the video. But holy crap, watching those people flee for their lives from a bunch of women on skates is AMAZING. Also, the Elvises (Elvii??) on scooters at the end of the video makes it that much awesomer.)

And check out this one from someone who runs with the bulls:



THIS IS THE MOST AMAZING THING I HAVE SEEN TODAY. I have to go to New Orleans now. It's not too far away from where I'll be in the US, right??

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.