Sunday 9 February 2014

Berry spinach smoothie


I just realized I have a tag called "I like food" and no actual recipes for derby awesomeness in this blog, so here is a quick and easy one to start with. I like this because it takes literally a minute to throw together and is healthy and tasty.

So, you just start with the following things:


For 1 person:
  • 1 banana
  • Baby spinach
  • Orange juice
  • Frozen mixed berries
  • Protein powder (optional)
Haha, notice that I didn't put quantities of the things besides banana. That's because you can make this according to taste. Don't like spinach? Fine, put in less! Want more berries? However the hell madam pleases! That said, I usually do a big handful of spinach and maybe a cup of OJ. You can't taste the spinach anyway.

The method is pretty easy. Throw stuff in a blender. But if you use protein powder, put that in somewhere AFTER the juice but before the solid ingredients, or else you get weird powdery floaty chunks which aren't totally great.


And then blend it. Do 10 squats while it blends.



Depending on how much stuff you put in, your smoothie will be somewhere between pink and green. You won't be able to taste the spinach but you're getting a crapload of fresh vegies. And the smoothie is surprisingly filling, because the banana, protein powder and frozen berries thicken it considerably without making it all dairy-y and sludgy. I made one for Killy when she was staying with me and she said it was pretty good and she normally doesn't even eat breakfast.



So there you have it! I usually have one of these on bout days, or when I feel like I need to get energized for doing something (like derby practice or grading a bazillion papers). It is so quick and easy to put together that I've also managed to put a smoothie together while I was having a 30 second break in a workout so that it was ready to drink when I was done. :)

Protip: when you're done, wash the blender and glass right away because it looks like bad poop when you leave it and it dries.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.