Thursday 15 March 2012

Making the team, from the other side of the planet

I checked my facebook this morning and found out that I've been provisionally drafted onto my league's away team for The Great Southern Slam in Adelaide in June this year. That's the Dishonour Rollers--last time I was provisionally drafted for the Cannery Challenge, and then I went overseas and came back and munted myself. Now I've been provisionally drafted and I'm overseas... well, let's hope that when I get back, history doesn't repeat itself. Gah. I'm going to really have to bring my game to earn this spot, but I'm excited to have the opportunity to be part of something as big as this.

But anyway. As big as what? Well, the GSS is the biggest roller derby tournament in the entire southern hemisphere, and all these leagues descend on Adelaide to bout it out for three whole days. THREE WHOLE DAYS OF DERBY!! Squeeeee! And afterparties and merch and learning a whole bunch of things and watching some of the best skaters in the Antipodes duke it out. I will probably be sitting in suicides the whole time if I can get in there. Anyway, this is the kind of stuff I'll be seeing: this is a video from the final jam of the final in 2011 with Sun State Roller Girls and Victoria RDL:


Holy crapballs. I'm kind of scared; everyone else who is going has infinitely more bouting experience than I do. But hey, learning curve and all that yeah? I'm certainly learning a whole bunch of stuff while I'm over here, and I'm excited to take it back home. (Also, this is the best reason to upgrade to new skates, yes? Antiks? Yes?)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.